Skip to main content

St Thoman Anglican Church Linden

About St Thomas’ Anglican Church Linden

Years of Ministry
0
Regular Weekly Services
0
Mission Commitments
0

About St Thomas

The spear if the Martyr and the set square of the Architect symbols of our Patron Saint Thomas

The Collect

Eternal God your apostle Saint Thomas was doubtful of your Son’s resurrection until word and sight convinced him. Grant that we who have not seen may be not faithless but believing; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Historical List of Clergy & Moments

  • 1915 October 25/26 –  Mr Louw Geldenhuys donated lot 150 situate in Eight Street and Third Avenue in the freehold township of Linden to the Diocese of Johannesburg.
  • January – Father Leach invited by Bishop Reeves to be the first Rector of St Thomas’ (Henry Leach).
  • 1952 July 1 – First mass held in the lounge of church house with twenty-two people being present
  • 1954 October 03 – Laying of foundation Stone to the by Bishop Reeves.
  • 1955 October 02 Dedication of church with some 600 people present.
  • 1956 -1975 – Small hall, Chapel and tower built
  • 1061 – Church plus larger hall and coffee bar completed. Rector enlarged.
  • 1966 October 08 – Re-dedication of St Thomas’ with alter facing east.
  • 1966 November 01 – Death of Fr Harry Leach.
  • 1967 May – 1982 June Fr John Matthew
  • 1974 June 20 – Translation of the Shrine of our Lady of Walsingham to the Lady Chapel of St Thomas’
  • 1983 June -1985 April – Fr Cecil Tee
  • 1985 August – 1988 November Fr Wilfred Pohl
  • 1988 December – 1996 Feb – Fr Ted Celiz
  • 1990 July – Consecration of St Thomas’
  • 1996 December Garden of Remembrance dedicated by Bishop Duncan Buchanan.
  • 1997 January – Fr Godfrey Henwood.
  • 1997 December – Cottages for retired clergy blessed by Bishop Duncan Buchanan. These cottages for the retired clergy were erected through the generosity of the RB Hagart Trust and were dedicated by Duncan Bishop of Johannesburg on the 5 December 1997.
  • 1998 – Purchase, refurbishing and installation of complete three manual Norman and Beard (1907) organ, together with the organ loft and the priests’ vestry.
  • 2000 – improvement and extension to church buildings by erecting two flats and additional accommodation for youth, counselling support services. Development of Leach house.
  • 2002 – Golden Jubilee of founding of St Thomas’
  • 2004 – further three  cottages for retired clergy dedication by Bishop Brian Germond
  • 2005 – Golden Jubilee of Dedication.

A Brief History of Saint Thomas’ Anglican Church, Linden

In 1915, Louw Geldenhuys donated three-quarters of an acre (half a Linden stand)
on the north-eastern corner of 3rd Avenue and 8th Street to the Anglican Church. For
many years, however, the land remained an open field covered with tall grass.
By 1952, it was decided to establish a parish to serve the growing north-western
suburbs of Johannesburg. To begin the work, the church borrowed £3,000, and a church house was built on the property.

In July 1952, the first celebration of the Holy Eucharist was held in the newly built
house, even though it still had no windows, doors, or floors. As the congregation
continued to grow, worship services were later held in a large tent erected on the
property.

Over the following years, additional buildings were constructed to support the life and
ministry of the parish. In 1961, the church hall was completed. It featured a mosaic of
Christ the King, created by the Italian artist Amando Baldinelli. Baldinelli declined to
sign the artwork because the outer edges had been completed using locally sourced
tiles that did not quite match his original design.

Protecting the Church Property

In 1941, plans were made to upgrade the Linden sub-satellite telephone exchange to a
full satellite exchange. The authorities wished to retain the exchange in roughly the
same area, opposite Laerskool Louw Geldenhuys, and began searching for a suitable
site.
Their first proposal was to purchase the empty Anglican Church property at the corner
of 3rd Avenue and 8th Street. Members of the congregation strongly opposed the sale,
preventing the church land from being lost.
The authorities then attempted to purchase the remaining property behind the church,
owned by Mr R.H. van Huysteen. Although the owner requested £900, the official
valuation was only £500. After two years of negotiations, the government eventually
purchased the property for £500.
The telephone exchange remains on that site today, while its prominent tower now
belongs to the cellular network provider Vodacom.

The Beginning of Worship

Before permanent church buildings were completed, the congregation gathered
faithfully in a large tent, where regular services were held. This period represents the
humble beginnings of Saint Thomas’ Parish and reflects the determination and faith of
its founding members, who worshipped together while the parish buildings were
gradually being developed.
This account marks the early development of Saint Thomas’ Anglican Church, Linden,
from the generous land donation in 1915, through the establishment of the parish in
1952, the first Eucharistic celebrations, worship under canvas, the construction of
permanent facilities, and the congregation’s successful efforts to preserve its property
for future generations.

Historical List of Clergy & Moments

  • 1915 October 25/26 –  Mr Louw Geldenhuys donated lot 150 situate in Eight Street and Third Avenue in the freehold township of Linden to the Diocese of Johannesburg.
  • January – Father Leach invited by Bishop Reeves to be the first Rector of St Thomas’ (Henry Leach).
  • 1952 July 1 – First mass held in the lounge of church house with twenty-two people being present
  • 1954 October 03 – Laying of foundation Stone to the by Bishop Reeves.
  • 1955 October 02 Dedication of church with some 600 people present.
  • 1956 -1975 – Small hall, Chapel and tower built
  • 1061 – Church plus larger hall and coffee bar completed. Rector enlarged.
  • 1966 October 08 – Re-dedication of St Thomas’ with alter facing east.
  • 1966 November 01 – Death of Fr Harry Leach.
  • 1967 May – 1982 June Fr John Matthew
  • 1974 June 20 – Translation of the Shrine of our Lady of Walsingham to the Lady Chapel of St Thomas’
  • 1983 June -1985 April – Fr Cecil Tee
  • 1985 August – 1988 November Fr Wilfred Pohl
  • 1988 December – 1996 Feb – Fr Ted Celiz
  • 1990 July – Consecration of St Thomas’
  • 1996 December Garden of Remembrance dedicated by Bishop Duncan Buchanan.
  • 1997 January – Fr Godfrey Henwood.
  • 1997 December – Cottages for retired clergy blessed by Bishop Duncan Buchanan. These cottages for the retired clergy were erected through the generosity of the RB Hagart Trust and were dedicated by Duncan Bishop of Johannesburg on the 5 December 1997.
  • 1998 – Purchase, refurbishing and installation of complete three manual Norman and Beard (1907) organ, together with the organ loft and the priests’ vestry.
  • 2000 – improvement and extension to church buildings by erecting two flats and additional accommodation for youth, counselling support services. Development of Leach house.
  • 2002 – Golden Jubilee of founding of St Thomas’
  • 2004 – further three  cottages for retired clergy dedication by Bishop Brian Germond
  • 2005 – Golden Jubilee of Dedication.

Our Mission & Commitments

Ministry of All Believers

The practice of the ministry of all believers.

Servant Leadership

Empowerment of visionary, servant leaders.

Prophetic Relevance

Prophetic relevance.

Sustainable Structures

Sustainable structures.

Our Mission Statement

We at St. Thomas’ seek to achieve a shared vision through:

Spiritual Formation

Growth in faith through spiritual formation.

Christian Community & Outreach

The growth and ministry of a vibrant Christian community and focused outreach.

Expanding Our Footprint

Expanding our footprint.

Common Questions & Answers

Our regular weekly services are:

Wednesday: 09:00 Wednesday Eucharist
Sunday: 08:00 am High Mass BCP
Sunday: 10:00 am Family Mass APB
Combined Eucharist: 08:30 am Fifth-Sunday of the Month.
Evensong & Benediction: 06:30 pm Last Sunday of Every Month

St Thomas’ Anglican Church Linden is situated at:

Cnr. 8th Street and 3rd Avenue
Linden, 2195

Telephone: 011 782 5585
WhatsApp: 072 220 6740
Email: secretary@saintthomas.co.za

The Parish Office is open Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 13:00.

For illness, hospital admission, home visits or other pastoral needs, contact Fr. Rendani Mudau on 081 863 9990 or the Parish Office on 011 782 5585.

Anglicare provides support for grief, guidance, marriage counselling, trauma and those who need someone to talk to. Contact Patience Makanza on 071 525 8385 for an appointment with a counsellor.

All pastoral care ministry is treated with confidentiality.

Contact Fr. Rendani Mudau on 081 863 9990 or Alistair McGillivray on 082 654 0412.